It's Glenn Ford's Birthday


Happy Birthday to Glenn Ford, who was born on the 1st of May 1916, and would have turned 102 today.


Glenn Ford is one of the actors I consider to be the greatest and most talented in Hollywood, He made any film he was in 10 times better for me.
It's quite strange that I have never paid attention to him in the past and haven’t considered watching any of his films, In-fact I chose not to watch a lot of films seeing he was the lead actor (I was a bit strange haha). After I did though, he instantly became one of my favourites. Especially after watching him in Interrupted Melody and how brilliant he was. He even managed to make me tear up in a scene that was barely 5 seconds long by only the expression on his face.
Many great actors ruin sad scenes for me. My sister and I would always say how many scenes could've been more dramatic or romantic if some actors didn't ruin it, Glenn Ford was definitely not one of them.
The one thing I dislike about him is something I have very recently learned from my sister is that as a Producer he casted actress Hope Lange in Pocketful of Miracles even-though she didn’t fit the role of Queenie Martin. The reason? Well, they were dating at the time. After learning that I’ve searched more about him and discovered that he has done this multiple times before with his other love interests, One of them was Debbie Reynolds. In my opinion, Both actresses were not lead actress quality, especially at that time.

Anyway, here’s a list of Glenn Ford films I've watched  :
A Stolen Life and Interrupted Melody are my favourites out of my small list. What are your?

* I’ve only just noticed that a young Glenn Ford looks remarkably like Freddie Prinze Jr

Comments

  1. I love this post and I love Glenn Ford! I didn't know he did that he promoted other women. I wish he hadn't but he did what any man would do if he wasn't looking out for himself. Unfortunately, his choices were probably the reason why he isn't well known today. Its a true shame, because he's one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that’s true. I also think a big part of him and other big actors at the time being unknown now is because they didn’t die at that time, like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. I read that Gregory Peck said in an interview in the 90s how he would’ve been more known to newer generations is if he died when the golden age did. It’s sad...

      Delete
    2. Yes that's a sad fact, but at least, we - the classic film enthusiasts - appreciate them!

      Delete
  2. Those two films are also my favourites out of what we've seen so far but "Pocketful of Miracles" would've probably been there with them had Lange not been in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment